Skip to main content

Standing On the Outside Looking In

Rachel, over at "Journeys with Autism", wrote a great post yesterday titled "The Path That Chose Me".  Several things jumped out at me as I read it, the first and biggest "Oh Yeah, that's me!" was this: 

"...I was on the margins. I just didn’t fit. Even when I was standing next to them, I watched my family members over there, as though they were in the center of the room, relating to one another, and I was on the outside. For a long time, I was sure that I must have been adopted, because there was no one in the family who reminded me of myself at all."



I'm like that in virtually all of my relationships, even though I feel like I want to connect I don't, in any group, no matter the size, it seems I'm always on the margin, on the outside looking in.  I don't fit into the spaces there, when I do squeeze in it feels as though I'm forcing myself into a shape that is not my own.  People have objected when I've told them I feel this way, they tell me I belong.  Of course that's not the point at all, it's my own feeling of standing off to the side that is what I'm talking about.  The fact that I can pretend to be in the group just means I'm pretty good at faking it for short bursts.


The second thing I really identified with was her "Great Regret" over past decisions.  I have similar regrets, if only I had not turned down an appointment to West Point, if only I had continued in school, if only I had not changed directions so often... yet in looking back they were the only possible choices for me at the time.  I simply could not cope with the pressures of those paths, again, despite what other people always wanted to tell me about what I'm capable of, they don't really know me. 

Like I said, it's a great post and you should go and read it right now here.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Wikileaks and police state censorship

I saw an article today on SF Gate about some nit wit Bush appointed Federal Judge ordering a website I'd never heard of called Wikileaks shut down because they were publishing some bank documents from some corrupt Swiss bank. The amusing thing is that they can't actually do it! Even more amusing is that this just draws attention to the site and makes it that much more visible, yay idiot goons! :-) There are mirror sites all over the world and it's almost impossible for thuggish police state goons to figure out how to close off all of the leaks :-) One mirror site is here: http://wikileaks.be/wiki/Wikileaks The US site they tried to close down is still here: http://88.80.13.160 "Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe,

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.