Skip to main content

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong.

It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to participate in the actions of governments.

As Tolstoy said so eloquently "Government is Violence." Every law is backed by the armed might of government, resistance is met with violent force, always. Try it out if you don't believe it. If you remove violence from government, so that it is voluntary, you no longer have a government, instead you have a co-op. I'm all for co-ops of all sorts, they are a good way of getting things done that might be difficult to accomplish individually.

In my studies I've found a number of early church writings that imply or state outright that participation in government offices is incompatible with being a Christian. Some of that is related to the implicit idolatry that went with being a government official at the time, emperor worship was a big problem for them. In other places it was the act of killing for the government that was the stated problem. As far as I'm aware there are no writings, before Constantine, that express the idea that it is a good thing for a Christian to be a soldier or magistrate working for the government. It is only after Christianity was made the official religion of the Roman Empire that it was suddenly OK to be a soldier and magistrate. That is the conclusion I've come to in the reading I've done.

As always I'm open to new information or new arguments, though I have not encountered anything new so far, it's all pretty old stuff.

Comments

  1. I have left this area open also for myself, with a few questions that you raise also. The part I question, is how long can we say we have to obey all forms of government as a Christian, but then harp and complain when the people vote on issues we protest, (abortion, gay marriage if it gets overturned, etc.)?

    What if we have a mostly Islamic government at some point?

    I believe Lutheranism and how we have government is a very weak area. Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as obeying bad government, we obey as long as they do not attempt to force us to do anything that is against the word of God. Even if it's a really bad government we are required to obey it, after all Paul was talking about the Roman Emperors, the same ones who persecuted and killed Christians. I guess I'm not sure what you'd call my opinion on it, obey but don't support or approve or participate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm not solid on everything around this either, pro or con. But not doing with your hands and doing with your taxes, for example, can cause me problems.

    And can't help but think of Nazi Germany, not trying to be a straw man, or painting broadly, but it does cause one to think.

    True, on the other extreme, a government will never be perfect. Very true.

    I don't know, let's all think on it...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. While it makes no sense to me, it is commanded in Romans that we pay taxes to downright evil governments. I comfort myself with the thought that we don't control what they do with our taxes anyway so it's not our doing. Paul said to pay taxes, Jesus said to pay taxes... I wish they hadn't because it makes sense to me to resist evil in that way. But if Jesus says to pay Caesar and Paul says to pay Caesar when Caesar was actually killing Christians I don't see how we can get out of it. ;-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. For what it's worth, here's my take on the question:

    Angels Weep

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Government = Violence

What it comes down to is this, any law you propose states this, I will kill you if you do not agree to do "X." I say this because ALL laws say this. All . Jay walking is a "crime." So, what does that mean? It means if you jay walk you risk death at the hands of government enforcers. How so? You are accosted while jay walking by the local police. You say, "Buzz off bucko!" The cop says "you are under arrest!" You say "Not even." They attempt to restrain you and you resist, you are now "resisting arrest" and in the process of subduing you force will be used to make you to comply. The harder you resist the more likely "they" are to simply kill you. All laws imply deadly force. All laws = the death penalty. Of course they won't say you are being killed for the "crime" of jay walking, but for resisting arrest or attempting to escape or whatever, but really it's the original "crim