Skip to main content

"Think about these things"

For the last couple of weeks I was reading a dark fantasy series of books called "The Sword of Truth" by Terry Goodkind. This was not the first time I've read these books, I read most of them, all that had been produced at the time, several years ago.

I had forgotten just how very dark these books were. They are filled with images of torture, murder, rape, child abuse and war, good vs. evil. Disturbing to say the least. The story is gripping and pulled me in just as it had the first time I read it.

While most all of the horrors are committed by those on the "evil" side in the conflict I found that the images started to dominate my thinking even when I was not actually reading the book! Thoughts of torture and murder began to appear in my mind at odd times, and I found myself feeling anger, and even rage, more and more as the days went on and I continued to read.

Then on Monday, three days ago, it came to me that there might be a connection between my own dark thoughts and the books I was reading.

In fact I noted this in my journal on Monday:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve been reading The Sword of Truth, a dark fantasy series, and it has come to me in the night that perhaps this is not the best thing for me to be reading at this time. In fact I know that this is the case. I’m filling my mind with false ideas about how the universe could work, false ideas about death and the “afterlife.” Perhaps just as bad I’m filling my mind with dark images of torture and abuse. Is this really something that is good for me? I doubt it seriously.

If I stop reading it then what will I replace it with? Not the Word of God surely? That would just be boring. Ah, I see a problem with my priorities here, and I am dismayed to find that at this time of the morning I no longer feel the terror about reading those books as I did last night in my bed.

I don’t want to come off sounding like some sort of Puritan by not reading the books, that is sad, I don’t want to look Holy? OK, I’m thinking I have an attitude problem here...

Philippians 4:8 (ESV)

8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

That is what I should be doing, not reading this book that glories in death and torture so much that it has begun to cause me to reject God in favor of reading it! I cannot say that the book is evil, only that for me at this time it is not a good thing. I am going to remove it from my list of reading for the time being.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm writing this here on my blog now just as a service to others, and to remind myself, that what we fill our minds with during our "leisure" time has an influence on our spirit just as the time we spend in reading the Word of God does. What we read, the TV shows we watch, the movies we go and see and the books we read, all of these things settle into our minds in ways we may not even notice or realize, but they are there nonetheless, so we need to keep in mind Philippians 4:8 and not fill ourselves with evil but with good.

Oh, and what did I replace it with? I picked up a book I was reading a year ago but dropped in the middle, "The Collected Works of C.S. Lewis" and have been reading in that instead, along with a restored focus on prayer and reading God's word the last couple of days. My spirit is lighter of late, the dark images have faded, the murderous fantasies have receded into the past and I feel much better now. Prayer, God's word and wholesome leisure activities, man that sounds boring, but really, it isn't :-)

Comments

  1. You have made me so happy to hear that you are working on changing your mindset. Sometimes I find it very hard to read your blogs because they are so totally negative. Think on good things. Your Mother loves you and so does God. Have a happy day, week, year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Government = Violence

What it comes down to is this, any law you propose states this, I will kill you if you do not agree to do "X." I say this because ALL laws say this. All . Jay walking is a "crime." So, what does that mean? It means if you jay walk you risk death at the hands of government enforcers. How so? You are accosted while jay walking by the local police. You say, "Buzz off bucko!" The cop says "you are under arrest!" You say "Not even." They attempt to restrain you and you resist, you are now "resisting arrest" and in the process of subduing you force will be used to make you to comply. The harder you resist the more likely "they" are to simply kill you. All laws imply deadly force. All laws = the death penalty. Of course they won't say you are being killed for the "crime" of jay walking, but for resisting arrest or attempting to escape or whatever, but really it's the original "crim