Skip to main content

A night at the Symphony

Last night Lora and I attended the San Francisco Symphony together. We had a nice father-daughter night out. Mike graciously agreed to watch Serenity for us, they went to church while we took the train to the city and had dinner at Chevy's because I had a coupon :-)

Then we went down to Davies Hall and heard:

CONDUCTOR AND FEATURED ARTISTS

Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor
Jeremy Denk, piano

PROGRAM
Beethoven King Stephen Overture
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 1
Brahms Symphony No. 2


Jeremy Denk was fantastic in the Piano Concerto No. 1 and came back for an encore after the end, though I must admit my musical ignorance and say I have no idea just what the piece he played after the concerto might have been.

The Brahms Symphony No. 2 was wonderful as well, I do love the last movement! I've got that symphony on a BBC Orchestra CD, so I know it well. :-)

The King Stephen Overture was OK but, for Beethoven, it seems a little perfunctory, like he was just doing a job and not really into it when he composed it.

Today Serenity and I are hanging out around the house, it's cold outside this morning! There is no school because government employees get a four day weekend for Columbus day! Real working people don't get this holiday of course.

Tomorrow the whole family, Mike, Lora, Serenity and me, are going to the Nor Cal Renaissance Fair at Casa de Fruita down in Hollister, that will be fun!

Casa de Fruita was one of Grandmother DuPertuis' favorite places to go, we took a number of trips down to Hollister over the years just to get fruit and jams and preserves there. I'll post more after our trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Child Driven Education

Here is a Ted Talk with Sugata Mitra on Child Driven Education... very unschooling-like I think.  :-)  I've seen videos of him before, this is an update on his research on letting groups of kids learn on the internet, mostly without any supervision at all.  Posted via email from The Angry Gnome