Skip to main content

Christ Centered or Christian Centered?

How can you tell if your church and pastor are truly Christ Centered? Just listen to what is said during the worship service. What is the focus? Is it about what Christ has done for us? About His forgiveness of our sins through His perfect life, death and resurrection? Or is it about us, how we can "be better parents" or "have a happier marriage" or "5 steps to whatever"? In other words, is the service and sermon "Christ centered" or is it actually "Christian centered"? Is Jesus the Perfect Holy Son God who died for us or is he our coach and our helper? I think this is a very important distinction actually. If we are focused on what we do during the Divine Service we cannot be focused on what Christ does for us. Focusing on ourselves could lead to the misconception that there is something we can do for God, that we participate in our salvation in some way, that we get better and better and Jesus just helps us along and fills in the gaps where we fall short. That is simply wrong. Jesus did it all for us, we bring nothing at all. As the old hymn says "Nothing in my hand I bring, Simply to Thy cross I cling" This is what we need to hear every week in church, not self help seminars!

Today is September 1st and the church remembers Joshua son of Nun:

Joshua

Joshua, the son of Nun, of the tribe of Ephraim, is first mentioned in Exodus 17, when he was chosen by Moses to fight the Amalakites, whom he defeated in a brilliant military victory. He was placed in charge of the Tent of Meeting (Ex. 33:11) and was a member of the tribal representatives sent to survey the land of Canaan (Num 13:8). Later, he was appointed by God to succeed Moses as Israel's commander-in-chief. He eventually led the Israelites across the Jordan River into the Promised Land and directed the Israelites' capture of Jericho. He is remembered especially for his final address to the Israelites, in which he challenged them to serve God faithfully (Josh 24:1-27), concluding with the memorable words, "As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord" (24:15). [From "Commemorations Biographies," Lutheran Service Book, LCMS Commission on Worship]


"Rock of Ages, Cleft for Me"
by Augustus Montague Toplady, 1740-1778

1. Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood
From Thy riven side which flowed
Be of sin the double cure,
Cleanse me from its guilt and power.

2. Not the labors of my hands
Can fulfil Thy Law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

3. Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helplees, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly,--
Wash me, Savior, or I die!

4. While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyelids close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment-throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Government = Violence

What it comes down to is this, any law you propose states this, I will kill you if you do not agree to do "X." I say this because ALL laws say this. All . Jay walking is a "crime." So, what does that mean? It means if you jay walk you risk death at the hands of government enforcers. How so? You are accosted while jay walking by the local police. You say, "Buzz off bucko!" The cop says "you are under arrest!" You say "Not even." They attempt to restrain you and you resist, you are now "resisting arrest" and in the process of subduing you force will be used to make you to comply. The harder you resist the more likely "they" are to simply kill you. All laws imply deadly force. All laws = the death penalty. Of course they won't say you are being killed for the "crime" of jay walking, but for resisting arrest or attempting to escape or whatever, but really it's the original "crim