Skip to main content

Software "Upgrades"

I know that software engineers or programmers or whatever they call themselves need to justify staying on the payroll by producing things.  Really, I do understand this concept.  But why do they insist on "improving" products that work perfectly already?  If you try to improve something that is already RIGHT in every way then you can only make is LESS RIGHT!  Two examples I've encountered recently are the Thunderbird email program, the one I'm using at this very moment and Mozy online back up, which is running in the background right now. 

Thunderbird went from being slick and fast to being grindingly slow after the last "upgrade" they did.  Now it does some nonsensical thing that serves no purpose I can discern called "indexing" that supposedly allows me to find emails better, though it doesn't actually do that.  They were easier to find in the previous version with a simple key word search.  Now the program sucks resources and almost stops downloading new emails while it "decides what to index".  Really?  Who cares?  I just want to read my email, NOW!

Mozy went from having a pretty informative interface that told you an estimated time for the backup it was doing, to an interface that might as well not be there at all for all the info it gives.  Plus I'd swear the downloads are now taking at least twice as long but that could be due to new files being generated by the stupid "INDEXING" that Thunderbird is doing. 

Both of these programs were better six months ago than they are now after being "IMPROVED"  Thanks for nothing guys.

BUT, they are still way better than other programs that claim to do the same thing... they just aren't as good as they once were. 

Oh, and then there is Virus Protection Software.  I think the biggest and nastiest VIRUS out there is McAfee itself!  And that is the better of the choices between the biggest 2 - Norton and McAfee, at least in my experience.  The darned thing buts in and updates every single day, sometimes more than once and last night it made me restart my computer to finish the upgrade.  I am not convinced that there are that many dedicated virus makers out there that make such dangerous computer viruses that the stupid program needs to slow my computer down daily for minutes at a time, usually when I'm busy with something else.  I suspect that it's like the BART station agents who, I'm convinced without real evidence, work closely with bike stealing gangs, in exchange for cash or something, to get bikes ripped off from inside BART stations!  I'm also convinced, without evidence, that McAfee and other virus protection makers, actually are the source of 99.9% of the computer viruses they "detect" out there.  So there.  :-P

Posted via email from The Angry Gnome

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.