Skip to main content

Commuting and Perfume

Since moving to Livermore I've been driving my car to the train station to go to work.  I've found this to be stressful.  I get upset by the traffic, impatient by drivers going slower than I want to on the off ramp and getting in my way in the parking lot.  Plus it puts miles on the car, adds wear and tear to both me and the Corolla and uses up more of that expensive gasoline.  Then I have to pay $1 a day to park in the station lot as well. 

Well, last week I decided to try riding my bike the 8 miles to the station.  I rode on Sunday but then we had rain again for a few days (It looks like that strange late wet weather has FINALLY gone away!).  Yesterday and today I rode though.  Instead of being stressed out from freeway driving I'm relaxed from a strenuous 45-50 minute aerobic workout on the way to the train, nice.  I'm going to be a fair weather rider though.  I have no intention of riding 45 minutes in a driving cold rain in the winter!  But hey, this is California so most days are good riding days.

A not so nice part of today's commute was the rotund massively over-perfumed lady who decided to sit next to me on the train.  I could smell her perfume the instant she entered the car, it preceded her actual arrival by several seconds.  Do these people buy perfume in 50 gallon barrels and bathe in it?  If I can smell you from over 15 feet away, you are wearing too much!  If I can enter a room you left 10 minutes ago and still identify who had been there, you are wearing too much!  You extreme perfume people need to get a clue!  Here is how you apply perfume.  You take a couple of DROPS and put it on your neck, that way you, who so obviously enjoy the smell, can smell it, along with anyone who snuggles with you, which is the point of the stuff I think.  Bring a small vial of it with you so you can reapply it during the day, again a drop or two only.  DON'T apply it as if it were sunscreen, PLEASE!  Many perfumes cause me get a headache and clog my sinuses.  Trust me, I don't need to smell you to know you are there, my eyes and ears work just fine.

Here is my bike route from Livermore to the Pleasanton BART station:


View Larger Map

Posted via email from The Angry Gnome

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.