Skip to main content

Where I am on the CREATION/EVOLUTION CONTINUUM

Ah, there I am, Theistic Evolution, right there just a hair up from Atheistic Evolution. My more fundamentalist friends will be dismayed I'm sure. :-)

I got this little chart from the National Center for Science Education website while reading this article about the Creation Evolution Continuum. What it essentially means is that while acknowledging that God indeed has created and sustains and guides the cosmos, I also acknowledge the legitimate findings of science concerning such things as the age of the earth and the common descent of current life from one or a few original, simple forms. I also agree with the Catholics that humans were specially endowed with a soul at some point in this process but that we and the great apes may very well be physically descended from a common ancestor.

The idea of Progressive Creation as exemplified by Reasons to Believes Hugh Ross and his ministry is quite attractive to me, because the science is so much better than that of AnswersInGenesis and the other Young Earth bozos, but I find it unsatisfying in the end, it simply does not have the ring of truth for me. There is way to much compelling evidence for common descent that they try to explain away, it just won't really work as science. Besides, I don't really see the need for it theologically, Christianity does not depend on it.

Comments

  1. Hello fellow INTP Lutheran, I'm glad you posted this info, because I haven't found an exact place on the scale for me yet. Only because I haven't searched one out, mind you.

    Just the other day, when I went on a "we aren't different races" rant, I then thought about the creation theories, and how they fit in with that. Ironically you were thinking things in the same direction.

    Will check out your links on it now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, I also agree that the "primordial soup" theory has no real possibility, not hard to believe.

    I believe I must fall somewhere between Theistic Evolution and Progressive Creationism, but I am not sure of the boundaries in both those rankings at this time.

    Young Earth theory is not a possibility for me, for the mere fact that I strongly believe we are indeed all related, and firmly believe that the different "races" theory is garbage. Therefore, we had to change over a period of time.

    Now whether that is rooted in the folic acid idea, the sunlight factor, or just the concept that humans early on had more variety of features within the small tribe, I don't know. I do know people can look different in a small amount of generations, so I lean towards some possible environmental factors mixed in with our own human genes mixing things up as the source.

    Will have to read in depth the categories, maybe I can find a more specific area for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I'm not attached to any one spot on the continuum, but I am no where near the Young Earth end I know for sure. I enjoy listening to the Reasons to Believe podcasts but it really seems like they are stretching quite a bit to deny common descent when it seems pretty obvious to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "gap" creation department just seems to be a add-on for another bad theory. I never heard of that before.

    Great resources, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Government = Violence

What it comes down to is this, any law you propose states this, I will kill you if you do not agree to do "X." I say this because ALL laws say this. All . Jay walking is a "crime." So, what does that mean? It means if you jay walk you risk death at the hands of government enforcers. How so? You are accosted while jay walking by the local police. You say, "Buzz off bucko!" The cop says "you are under arrest!" You say "Not even." They attempt to restrain you and you resist, you are now "resisting arrest" and in the process of subduing you force will be used to make you to comply. The harder you resist the more likely "they" are to simply kill you. All laws imply deadly force. All laws = the death penalty. Of course they won't say you are being killed for the "crime" of jay walking, but for resisting arrest or attempting to escape or whatever, but really it's the original "crim