Skip to main content

What's going on...

We have now been home schooling for 2 weeks and I think things are going quite well. Serenity is happy and learning constantly. She is also enjoying the ability to stay up later and sleep in late in the morning. I think that is a good thing too. :-)

The local school principal is still a bit unclear on the concept and has been calling both Lora and I on the phone trying to figure out what we are doing. She can't seem to find Serenity School listed on the State of California's web site, well neither can I for that matter. That is not a big surprise though, we are talking about a government agency after all!

So, we are going to send the principal a copy of the Private School Affidavit that Lora filed two weeks ago. That should take care of things I think. If not we have the help of the California Homeschool Network to fall back on. It really is annoying that the state, and those who work for the state, have the idea that all children belong to them and that we need their permission to teach them at home, it's just absurd.

This week Serenity and I went to two different "Park Days" coordinated by Tri-Valley Explorers. On Wednesday we went to the one in Danville, but that one won't really work for us much because I work every other Wednesday, we went just because it was sunny out :-) Then we went to one in Livermore on Thursday that I imagine we will be going to most every week from now on, that one is held indoors on cold wet days and in a nearby park on nice days. Serenity had a good time at both places so we may end up going to Danville on occasion as well as Livermore. At Livermore yesterday Serenity attached herself to the oldest kid there, a 13 year old boy who treated her with care and patient attention, it was amazing ;-)

So, that is our report for the week, we are enjoying this immensely!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Child Driven Education

Here is a Ted Talk with Sugata Mitra on Child Driven Education... very unschooling-like I think.  :-)  I've seen videos of him before, this is an update on his research on letting groups of kids learn on the internet, mostly without any supervision at all.  Posted via email from The Angry Gnome