Skip to main content

What am I going to eat for supper?

I go back and forth on this one. I want to eat vegetarian, so I start doing that and make some big declaration about it. Then I change my mind, usually due to the fact that almost everyone around me is munching on the flesh of dead animals.

Then there is the whole "diet" thing. I went on the Atkins diet a couple of times, it really works for losing weight but I hate the feeling of being stuffed full of dead flesh and fat. I never really feel good when I'm doing that. Then I tried the Dean Ornish diet, which is the exact reverse of the Atkins diet. All vegetarian no fat.

Both are pretty extreme and both worked for me and both didn't work long term because I love all the foods on both sides of them. Vegetarianism doesn't work for me because from time to time I actually like meat.

So what to do? I'm overweight by a good 40 pounds and need to get rid of it... oh wait, exercise!

But that is so HARD! I want it to be EASY!

All right then, I've decided what to do next and it will not be easy. I'm going to start getting more exercise, walking probably, maybe we'll call it "hiking" even. I'm also going to reduce the amount of meat I eat even more than I already have, I really don't eat much meat as it is though. Then I'm going to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables I eat and cut down on cheese.

But I LOVE cheese! I want MORE cheese, not LESS!

Still, this is the only reasonable and sustainable plan, more exercise, healthier foods, smaller portions... oh yeah smaller portions. I don't really need to whine about that one, just using a smaller plate seems to work for that.

There is also the matter not eating just because it's "Time to eat." Waiting until there is at least a pang of hunger in the belly and not just a ringing bell or an emotional craving... yeah that's a hard one there but still it's something to keep in my mind. This morning for breakfast, though to tell the truth I was NOT hungry when I ate it, I had a non-fat peach yogurt and a banana that I sliced up in the bowl with it. It was yummy and I'm really full now but probably I could have waited until later in the day for that.

I'm encouraging Serenity to eat when and how much she wants, with a lot of direction from me on the WHAT she eats. :-) We avoid sugar and processed foods as much as possible and try to keep up the fruits and veggies. She frequently surprises me by turning down extra helpings of food she really likes.

I'll let you know how this all works out.

***************************************************

Other things:

Last night when I got off of the train in Dublin and went to my car in the parking lot I found my right front tire was flat :-( I briefly toyed with the idea of calling AAA but decided that by the time they came out and changed the tire I could have done it myself and been home drinking a glass of "whine" and so I broke out the tools from the trunk, removed my overcoat and cranked up the jack. In ten minutes I was on the way home where I had a glass of wine while I whined.

Today I'll need to go to Big O tires and get it fixed, gee what fun, I can't think of anything I'd rather do than sit around a tire store on a nice sunny day :-(

Maybe I'll take Serenity along and we can walk over to the library while they fix it and get one of the Five in a Row books! That would be a little more productive and enjoyable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Child Driven Education

Here is a Ted Talk with Sugata Mitra on Child Driven Education... very unschooling-like I think.  :-)  I've seen videos of him before, this is an update on his research on letting groups of kids learn on the internet, mostly without any supervision at all.  Posted via email from The Angry Gnome