Skip to main content

Digital Despair

Once upon a time I wrote long and rambling journal entries long hand in spiral notebooks.  I filled one after another with my thoughts, my dreams, my memories and my desires.  Eventually I bought a typewriter and wrote with that, not quite so much as when I wrote long hand, but many thousands of words and I wrote many pages each day.  Then one day I got a computer, because with a computer I could easily edit my writing and supposedly write more readable prose.  This was true for a time.  

But the computer eventually came to be connected to the internet, and on the internet began to appear distractions of all sorts.  

First among the distractions was something called "Newsgroups" where I could have conversations with strangers about various subjects.  Along with conversations were newsgroups where people posted pictures and I spent way too much time downloading thousands of sci-fi and fantasy paintings that I still have on my computer today.  Then there were groups where pirated music was posted and I downloaded thousands of songs.  

Next came the world wide web, with blogs and news sites and all the linked information that is available in the world.  I started a blog and my writing went from paper to word-processor to the web, and the number of words and the amount of thought I gave to them declined further and further as I succumbed to the distractions and temptations of the web. 

Then there was my final downfall, Facebook.  First I linked to my blog, then I wrote shorter and shorter posts about my thoughts, then it was pictures of my family and what I was doing and eventually it was just reposting "memes" other people made that expressed some superficial thought of the moment, mostly negative and often vulgar and always anti-government.   

Over the years I went from spending most of my free time thinking, reading books and writing to spending most of my free time posting to Facebook and "liking" other people's posts.  

A number of times I attempted to rein in this habit, to restrict the amount of time I spent on the computer, to only post and read on Facebook for an hour a day for example, it never worked.  Time after time I declared loudly to all that I was finished with Facebook and was leaving.  Over and over I closed down my account only to come back after a day or two or a week or two when I was really determined.  

Of late I have resumed writing almost exclusively with a pen on paper, loose leaf sheets rather than sprial notebooks because I can lay them flat on my desk and I prefer that over the lump of metal on the side of the page.  But still I have not spent the time writing and reading and more importantly, just sitting quietly and thinking, that I once did.  

Finally though I think I have made a breakthrough.  Father Hezekias, my  priest and spritiual Father, has noticed what I post to Facebook and the negative spirit, and coarse language I have been using there, and has more than once advised me to leave that medium.  Today he pulled me aside after Divine Liturgy and advised that again.  I am taking this advice to heart, first of all because the spiritual impact of being on Facebook is horrible to me.  I'm not saying it's bad for everyone, but it most certainly is for me.  But in addition to the spiritual aspect there is the fact that it is the end point of a dark downward spiral in my mental life in general.  From a thinker and dreamer and writer I became a "reactor" who clicked a thumbs up or a smiling face to indicate I like something.  I am ashamed of how low I've stooped over the last few years.  Starting at this moment, on this day, I'm finished with most of the internet.  I'll keep this blog, of course, and I'll post pictures of the family to Instagram, at least for now.  But I hope that I will again return to thinking and writing and reading, maybe even just sitting quietly alone and listening to music with complete focus on the sounds, not just as background noise. Really the modern digital world has been a bad thing for me I think.  

Thanks for reading this far, if anyone has.  I'll be back another day with more I'm sure. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.