Skip to main content

Prayer, meditation and contemplation



Canticle of the Creatures

All Praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars; in the heavens you have made them, bright, and precious, and fair.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brothers wind and air, and fair and stormy, all the weather's moods, by which you cherish all that you have made.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Water, so useful, humble, precious and pure.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brother Fire, through whom you brighten up the night. How beautiful is he, how cheerful! Full of power and strength.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through our Sister Mother Earth, who sustains us and governs us, and produces various fruits with colored flowers and herbs.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through those who grant pardon for love of you; through those who endure sickness and trial. Happy are those who endure in peace, by You, Most High, they will be crowned.
All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Death, from whose embrace no mortal can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Happy those she finds doing your will! The second death can do them no harm.
Praise and bless my Lord, and give him thanks and serve him with great humility.
St. Francis of Assisi

One of the things that I like about the Catholic church is its openness to diverse forms of prayer, meditation and contemplation.  Within the Catholic church there is a long tradition of mystical experience that is absent from much of Protestantism.  Indeed, it is not only absent but condemned as dangerous and unchristian in many cases.  I think this cutting off so much of traditional forms of meditation is a mistake.

Even with the acceptance of mysticism within the Church I have heard some Catholics express discomfort with such things as Centering Prayer and some forms of meditation that they see as too much aligned with "eastern religions."  I have read their arguments and find them mostly unconvincing.  It is true that one could go astray with such methods of prayer, but I don't think it is a problem so long as we keep our eyes and our focus on Jesus.  Some of the arguments I've heard sound like squabbles over definitions.  Somehow unless you use the right Catholic jargon you can't be doing it right.  And boy is there jargon!  There is even a whole dictionary of "Spiritual Terms" they have so you can translate from the jargon into English.  It seems to me that the problem they have with more recent methods of prayer, such as Centering Prayer, is that the practitioners of these methods don't use the same "spiritual dictionary" when talking about it.  Instead they use terms even I can understand.  I think this is a good thing.

I'll have a lot more to say about this in the future, but I've just heard several Catholics on EWTN warning folks away from Centering Prayer in particular and I think it's wrong headed. 

I haven't written in the last couple of days because I have been very tired.  On Saturday and Sunday I was sick, then I've been pushing myself, playing and swimming with the kids, going to the park, taking the RV for repairs and going on a long "hike" to get home from the shop... really I should have been resting I think.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Government = Violence

What it comes down to is this, any law you propose states this, I will kill you if you do not agree to do "X." I say this because ALL laws say this. All . Jay walking is a "crime." So, what does that mean? It means if you jay walk you risk death at the hands of government enforcers. How so? You are accosted while jay walking by the local police. You say, "Buzz off bucko!" The cop says "you are under arrest!" You say "Not even." They attempt to restrain you and you resist, you are now "resisting arrest" and in the process of subduing you force will be used to make you to comply. The harder you resist the more likely "they" are to simply kill you. All laws imply deadly force. All laws = the death penalty. Of course they won't say you are being killed for the "crime" of jay walking, but for resisting arrest or attempting to escape or whatever, but really it's the original "crim