Skip to main content

The end of the world!

Now this is cool, seems that according to Harold Camping, the nut-job heretic who runs the Family Radio Scam out of Oakland, the world will end / Christ will return while we are in the middle of our Maui vacation this year!  Sort of nice, we'll go from earthly paradise to eternal paradise while on vacation.  Woo Hoo!  :-)

It had been a few months since I dropped in on Harold Camping, the Oakland minister who believes the world will end May 21 . I was happy to see that Camping, a more frail 89 years than I had remembered...
Doomsday prophet: End of the world is on schedule

Doomsday prophet: End of the world is on schedule

It had been a few months since I dropped in on Harold Camping, the Oakland minister who believes the world will end May 21.

I was happy to see that Camping, a more frail 89 years than I had remembered, had at least maintained his apocalyptic sense of humor.

"I thought you were dead!" he said as we sat down in his office.

"Only a few more months," I responded.

Camping wagged a finger at me. "One hundred twenty one days."

Take that, George Lucas.

Since our last visit, Camping's lights-out prediction had gone global -- much to his enjoyment. As the final date approaches, he's been swamped with media requests. He wedged our meeting among interviews with the Times of London, a score of bloggers, television producers and a Philadelphia morning zoo radio show.

"My life is not my own these days," he said. "I have no time for fun or pleasure. It's all about the interviews."

It was a good time to talk Armageddon. In the past few weeks, flocks of birds had fallen from the skies, persuading those unconvinced by the laws of science that it was, in fact, a sign of The End of Times.

"I didn't read anything in the Bible that talks of birds dying off as a sign," Camping said. "That's mankind doing the talking, not the Bible."

Director George Lucas had also reportedly given his blessing to the notion that the Mayan calendar's 2012 doomsday prediction was on target.

Camping offered what sounded like a practiced sound bite to respond to the Lucas report. "Phooey," he said. "Like a lot of people, he grabs at 2012 because he needs something to believe in. But it's all speculation."

What remains unquestioned, in Camping's mind, is that the world will come to an end in a matter of weeks. Each time I've met with him I've asked him if this makes him sad. Or angry. Or anything else but delighted.

"I gotta admit," he said, "that I do find myself thinking more and more about how short the time is. And how it goes by so quick. It's as if the mind is not capable of comprehending this."

Outside his office, Camping's employees were busy hand-washing a new fleet of RVs emblazoned with Bible verse and the proclamation, "May 21, 2011: Judgment is Coming!"

Above the passenger side door on each RV, one of of those red anti-circles was painted over "2012." The popular 2012 myth, as Camping dismissed it, at least served as an entry point for his followers to discuss the true Armageddon with the curious.

The five-vehicle caravan was headed to Florida the following week. Along the way they'd stop in small towns and big cities to share Camping's proofs and try to save as many souls as possible.

According to Camping's reading of the Bible, only those who are saved will enter heaven May 21.

"You better start pleading with God now," Camping warned. "He doesn't save people who are egotistical."

JUSTIN BERTON is a general assignment reporter at The San Francisco Chronicle. You can follow him on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/justinberton

Posted By: Justin Berton (Email, Twitter) | February 02 2011 at 11:20 AM

Listed Under: Predictions

Posted via email from The Angry Gnome

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part