Skip to main content

Minimalism and Gifts

I got an early birthday gift from my Aunt Bella and Uncle Frank, a very cool coffee table type book about Gnomes :-)  I love it!



But as I sat reading through it at my desk and began to ponder where to keep it (on the desk with my set of essential books is what I decided) it occurred to me that gifts could be a problem if one is seeking to get into a more minimalist sort of lifestyle.  That's what I'm trying to do, with only a very little progress so far, but I'm trying to have fewer material possessions tying me down because they are hard to move, hard to keep tidy and get in the way a lot and force you to have bigger and more rooms than you would have if you were a true minimalist.  But if people keep giving me "stuff" I'm just treading water when I get rid of my older stuff.  Of course none of this applies to my Gnome book, that is so perfect and so me that I'm not going to get rid of it no matter how minimalist I get :-)

Of course giving gifts to that vast majority of people who just love having more and more "stuff" and bigger and bigger houses and cars and such, is pretty easy.  You just get them some more "glittery shiny stuff" and they put it somewhere in their giant house and everyone from the manufacturer of the "glittery shiny stuff" to the retailer who sells the "glittery shiny stuff" to the truck drivers who transports the "glittery shiny stuff" from one place to the other and all the way on down to the recipient of your gift of "glittery shiny stuff" is happy.  More or less :-)

But what about giving to someone who is trying to get rid of almost all of their stuff?  If you give them a gift of more stuff that's just one more thing they have to find a place for, and it's one more thing they will find hard to get rid of because, after all it was a gift and you can't just say thank you for a gift and then give it away or sell it or something, that would seem rude and uncaring. 

What a dilemma this is.  No one ever believes you when they ask what you want for your birthday or Christmas if you say, "Nothing."  It's just too hard to make that lie sound convincing ;-).  Saying, "Just give me money" sounds sort of crass, even though it's about the most useful gift you can give to anyone.  But then what do you do for a minimalist?  I am thinking that what I want are things that are less bulky, like write me a poem or a story if you have that talent, and send it via the interwebs ;-)  Or some art you could do or send on the web.  Or some music, like an iTunes gift card or a Barnes and Noble or Amazon gift card for eBooks, that would work too.  Unless you are like my Aunt Bella and discover some physical item like that Gnome book that is just so absolutely perfect for the recipient, then I guess the physical item is still the best way to go.  Of course food is good too, that only takes up space for a little while :-)

Posted via email from The Angry Gnome

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Government = Violence

What it comes down to is this, any law you propose states this, I will kill you if you do not agree to do "X." I say this because ALL laws say this. All . Jay walking is a "crime." So, what does that mean? It means if you jay walk you risk death at the hands of government enforcers. How so? You are accosted while jay walking by the local police. You say, "Buzz off bucko!" The cop says "you are under arrest!" You say "Not even." They attempt to restrain you and you resist, you are now "resisting arrest" and in the process of subduing you force will be used to make you to comply. The harder you resist the more likely "they" are to simply kill you. All laws imply deadly force. All laws = the death penalty. Of course they won't say you are being killed for the "crime" of jay walking, but for resisting arrest or attempting to escape or whatever, but really it's the original "crim