Skip to main content

Music

There are some amazing music services out on the interwebs these days :-) There is Pandora, which I'm listening to at the moment, Up Around the Bend by Credence Clearwater Revival was playing when I started this post. Pandora plays a customized blend of tunes on stations you make for yourself so you tend to get music you like most all of the time, and it turns you on to music you might not have known about that is similar to what you have been marking with a thumbs up as you go along. There are occasional ads that play but not nearly as many as on over-air radio. You can listen for 40 hours per month for free, if you happen to use up those hours in a month you can pay 99 cents and listen as much as you like for the rest of that month, which is pretty reasonable I'd say. I have never yet used up my 40 hours though. Another cool thing about Pandora is that I can listen to it on my Blackberry, which makes walks and bike rides and commutes a pleasure, though you have to have signal and parts of the BART underground are still not accessible.

Another cool music service is SomaFM. Lots of interesting stations there, and it's all free. I listen to Groove Salad , Secret Agent , Doomed and Space Station Soma on this site, all full of stuff you will never hear anywhere else for the most part. Pretty cool spot to chill in the evenings.

An old fashioned online radio station that plays a nice selection of rock and stuff is Radio Paradise. I used to listen to that more in the past but with all the other places to hear music I don't get to Paradise as frequently as I once did.

A good site for mobile listening, like on my Blackberry, is Slacker Radio. Custom stations, genera stations and such. Very good.

Oooh... Pandora is giving me Hey Jude by the Beatles right now. Ah... now it's Every Breath You Take by the Police, old fashioned rock on the station I made called "My Kinda Rock"

Finally my newest find, via Pastor is Lala. This service allows you to upload your music to the web, and browse and listen to new stuff too. Sort of cool because you can then listen to your own music from your computer at any computer you happen to be on at the time. So I can listen to my music on the computer at work or in the front room on Lora's computer or wherever. You also have several ways to buy music on this site. You can buy 'web only' music that you can only hear via Lala for 10 cents a track, or you can buy no DRM MP3's for 79 cents more if you decide you want to burn a CD of the track, or you can actually buy the CD itself with the web album included free. More options is a good thing. No sign of mobile capability that I can find yet, but it's free and way cool.

Those are the music services I use now, there are others of course, but really if I'm using these you know they are the best :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.