Skip to main content

California's Proposition 8

Proposition 8 states: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

That's it.

So, is that a reasonable thing to state?

I tend to fall on the "keep government out of it" side of things, of course :-) There have been numerous forms of marriage in different places and times, not all were of the "one man and one woman" variety. Indeed, not all today are of that type, though in America today those are, for the most part, the only accepted ones.

Having the government involved in marriage has been a huge disaster as far as I can tell. The government gave us "no fault divorce" and the resulting "serial polygamy" or "temporary marriage" that is so common today. If we had left it up to the churches alone to marry and grant dissolution of marriage we would not have that, I don't think. But no, our totalitarian government has to have it's grubby paws in every aspect of our lives, including marriage. Well, you get just what you would expect from the organization that gave us nuclear weapons, the DMV and the Post Office: an ungodly mess of broken homes and a divorce rate of 50%.

The only thing government should do with marriage is record them, maybe, but I'm not sure even that is necessary. Governments should not be saying "I now pronounce you man and wife" and they should not be granting divorces either.

When my late "ex"wife kicked me out of the house and got a government decree of divorce I told her "We were married by a Lutheran Pastor, no judge can change that." I left anyway, of course, I didn't have a choice, governments have guns you know. But I didn't remarry and maintained that, even though we seemed unable to live together in the same house, we remained married in the eyes of God.

So, how am I going to vote? I have no idea ;-/ I'm thinking that maybe it's divorce that is the problem, governments should only have the authority to dissolve a marriage they made, so only "civil marriages" done by judges could be revoked... yeah, that might work. If that were the case then I would not care one way or the other what sort of unions the government countenanced, as long as they recognized the validity of religious marriages and didn't claim to be able to dissolve them. Yeah, like that's going to happen!

Comments

  1. Considering that ProtectMarriage.com has decided NOT to appeal the ballot language, what chance do you really see for Prop 8 to pass? I just don’t see a majority of Californians voting YES on a proposition titled ELIMINATES RIGHT OF SAME-SEX COUPLES TO MARRY.

    Once the churches realize that Prop 8 is an almost guaranteed loser, are they going to do the right thing and let their members know?

    If not, what happens after Prop 8 loses 40-60 (or worse), and then the members find out that the churches were privy all along to internal polling that predicted a crushing defeat? Do the members get their money back?

    Or do they get stuck paying for ads that were run by a campaign that knew it was going to lose but ran them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. chino blanco said:
    "Or do they get stuck paying for ads that were run by a campaign that knew it was going to lose but ran them anyway!"

    I say:
    You pay your money and you take your chance. No refunds :-) I won't be putting any money up, nor will my church, though I'm sure most will be voting yes on it. I'm not at all sure yet if I'll vote yes or no. It's more complicated than "Is homosexuality a sin?" Which it clearly is, it's a church-state question that I am wrestling with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand what you are thinking about, Larry. My main issue is our government is such a joke anyway, I just give up, to be honest.

    They can't even get decent energy policies that will sustain us, and I do believe they are mostly the most ignorant and foolish people I have ever heard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part