Skip to main content

The Angry Gnome?

I suppose you might wonder about the title of this blog. The Angry Gnome? Say what?

I chose this title after talking with a coworker, Tom Byrd, one day. He was looking at a photo of me standing on top of Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park and made a little red pointed hat out of paper and stuck it on the computer monitor. "Watch out for the angry gnome" he said.

Here is the photo, you'll just have to visualize the red hat because I don't do photo-shop things:

Well, after that conversation I thought about starting up this blog as a replacement for my regular one. But that still doesn't explain the Angry part of the name. Anyone who doesn't know me would have no problem with the Gnome part, just look at the photo! :-) But the Angry part? Well, I am sad to say that the Angry part is due to my day to day behavior. :-(

Somehow I have gained a reputation for being somewhat "prickly." Even when I'm trying my hardest to be nice I come across as quite harsh. I recognize this in myself but have not been able to shift my speech and manner very far toward the gentle side of things.

So I am the Angry Gnome, mostly to remind me to think about how I'm presenting myself to the world.

Anger is not always a sin. That being said, anger is almost always a sin. The only time it is not a sin is when it is on behalf of another, righteous anger. Sadly, that is not the sort of anger that I exhibit 99.9% of the time. No, what I show is simply ill-tempered crotchetiness. Like last night on the way home from work I encountered a swarm of tourists at the entrance to the train station. They were unfamiliar with the system and were sort of milling about in confusion. My reaction was anger that they were delaying me when I was running a shade late, I was afraid they would make me miss my train. I wove through the crowd in a huff, muttering things about stupid tourists, and dashed down to the platform where I caught my train with seconds to spare. Still flush from my encounter above I entered the train and there I saw a mother and young daughter spread out over 4 seats, toys and purses blocking the seats next to them. I gave out a loud and disgusted sigh and glared at them, thinking in my mind of all the cutting things I could say to them, "Did you pay for 4 seats you jerk?" for example. The thing is, there were dozens of perfectly good empty seats all around that I could, and did, sit in. They caused no harm to anyone, and actually moved their things after I huffed at them.

All that is to explain where I'm coming from here with the Angry Gnome. I doubt my nature will change all that much, sure I hope that I will gain on the issue, but this side of heaven I will, without doubt, continue to battle this sin.

So I'll be writing down my thoughts here, sometimes angry and sometimes not, but always, due to the title, I'll have a reminder to keep my anger in bounds. Or so I hope.

OK, to be totally honest, mostly I just think "The Angry Gnome" is an amusing name and everything else I said is just an excuse to use it :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NBC anti-life?

I would boycott NBC, if I ever watched it that is. I actually never watch anything on the old line networks, NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX. Everything I watch is on the cable only stations... do they still broadcast over the air? Ah well, this story is about the fact that it seems NBC refused to air an ad put together by some Catholic outfit that features an embryo and all of the hardships it faced in early life ending up with the revelation that they were talking about Obama. Here is the ad , check it out and see how unoffensive it is. Like I said, if I watched them I'd quit now. :-/

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

Government = Violence

What it comes down to is this, any law you propose states this, I will kill you if you do not agree to do "X." I say this because ALL laws say this. All . Jay walking is a "crime." So, what does that mean? It means if you jay walk you risk death at the hands of government enforcers. How so? You are accosted while jay walking by the local police. You say, "Buzz off bucko!" The cop says "you are under arrest!" You say "Not even." They attempt to restrain you and you resist, you are now "resisting arrest" and in the process of subduing you force will be used to make you to comply. The harder you resist the more likely "they" are to simply kill you. All laws imply deadly force. All laws = the death penalty. Of course they won't say you are being killed for the "crime" of jay walking, but for resisting arrest or attempting to escape or whatever, but really it's the original "crim