Skip to main content

Language

In my recent reading about Asperger's Syndrome one of the descriptors concerned unusual use of language. I have, for many years, worked very hard to alter my speech in such a way as to make it seem more normal. In spite of this my talking frequently engenders comment, not always positive, about both structure and vocabulary. In the past I attributed this almost exclusively to vocabulary deficiencies on the part of my audience. Now I have reason to suspect that there is more to this problem of communication than simple ignorance of meaning.

Perhaps my use of English is NOT superior but merely odd and off putting?! After all, since speech has, as its only major purpose, the goal of clearly communicating ideas from one person to another, if my methods get in the way of the clear transmission of my ideas it is MY problem much more than my hearers.

BUT... my own way of speaking makes me feel good, especially when I am able to turn a phrase in a way that is clear, fresh, accurate and concise. At those times the minor detail that my ostensible audience fails to appreciate either the beauty or the clarity of what I've said is not really very important to me. At those times I am speaking more for the JOY of assembling a phrase than for communication.

Larry Devich
It is more blessed to ask forgiveness than permission.
Sent from my iPhone

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part...