Skip to main content

Fasting for the Easter Triduum

I'm going to fast during part of the Easter Triduum this year.  The Easter Triduum is the three days starting from Maundy Thursday, today, through Easter Sunday.  I'm going to fast from the evening of Good Friday through Easter morning.  I'm fasting at this time to focus my mind and spirit on the events of the passion and the resurrection of our Lord.  I know that we aren't supposed to "brag" when we fast but I have another reason for posting this and that is the health benefits of fasting.

I've fasted periodically over the years and found that it made me feel better afterwards.  I never really thought much about it because mostly the reasons I chose to fast were to set aside a time for prayer and reading God's word.

Lately while reading Mark's Daily Apple, a website about Primal Living, like Paleo only a bit more relaxed, I encountered the concept of Intermittent Fasting.  This is the idea that a short fast, one skipped meal or even a whole day or 36 hours, done occasionally has great health benefits.

The post The Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting has a whole long list of things that are good about fasting!  Here is one small clip from the post:


Autophagy

Fasting turns on autophagy (most studies nowadays treat this as common knowledge), which is the process by which cells recycle waste material, eliminate or downregulate wasteful processes, and repair themselves. Why is autophagy so important? It’s required to maintain muscle mass, and inhibiting it induces atrophy of adult skeletal muscle.  It reduces the negative effects of aging and reduces the incidence and progression of aging-related diseases. In fact, researchers have determined that autophagy is the essential aspect of the anti-aging mechanism of fasting. Without the autophagy that fasting provides, you would get very few of the benefits. Fasting even increases neuronal autophagy, which aids in maintaining mental health and function. Short term fasting, too. No marathon thirty-six hour fast required.
 
So I'm going to begin to fast on a more regular basis, I'm thinking right now that once a week would be good, but we'll see what happens.

A blessed Triduum to you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part...