Skip to main content

Just some end of the day thoughts.

When we send a child off to school it separates them from us, from their family, for much of the day five days a week. This reduces our influence on our own children and increases the impact of the government, which is why I frequently call public schools "government indoctrination centers". When we stop sending them off to school it brings them back into our family in a big way, while cutting out the influence of those government indoctrination centers. But there may be some adjustments in our attitudes that need to be made along the way it seems to me. Homeschooling means involving our children (or in my case grandchild) much more intimately in our lives.

The idea that we can do a set number of things and then they go away is not one we can keep up in this project. We can't feed them, play with them a bit, maybe teach them for a couple of hours and call it good. No, they are involved in our whole life, pretty much morning to night. In our situation there are a couple of days a week when Serenity will need to go to daycare but other than that she is constantly with us and interacting continually with us, we talk and play and hug and are together all day long. Serenity is even willing and eager to forgo watching cartoons on TV, she would much rather be with me and with her mom. Normally she would get up and say, "can I watch cartoons?" first thing in the morning. Since I changed my attitude a bit toward the unschooling direction she has not asked to watch cartoons at all!

So far this experience has been wonderful for me! I can't imagine anything giving me more joy. I'm not so sure Lora is finding as much joy in it as I am, as of yet, but I'm sure she'll come around. ;-) Serenity herself is clearly responding in a joyful way to the new situation. She has noticed that grandpa is more prone to say "yes" and to ask her what she feels and thinks and wants, she really likes that aspect of this so far. It shows in her face and in her behavior already, I am convinced this was the right decision for her, and for all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part...