Skip to main content

Govco vs. PCS

My oh my! Govco does hate it when private folks try to horn in on their extortion racket:

San Francisco Chronicle

Parking scam perpetrators must repay Bay Area victims

Friday, December 14, 2007

(12-13) 08:34 PST SAN RAFAEL -- A private parking company that left official-looking but fake citations on cars parked in free lots in the Bay Area will have to reimburse people who paid the tickets, according to the Marin County district attorney's office.

Under terms of a settlement reached with Parking Control Service Inc. - also known as PCS - the company will refund all parking charges paid by drivers from March 2003 to Dec. 12, if those people submit a valid claim.

The company will also pay $100,000 in civil penalties and $30,000 to Marin and Sonoma counties for the cost of their two-year investigation into PCS' practices.

According to Marin County District Attorney Edward Berberian, PCS monitors free public and private parking lots at shopping centers and other places in Marin, Sonoma, Alameda, San Francisco and San Mateo counties.

From 2003 to this month, employees of the company would leave written notices that looked like government-issued tickets on cars that allegedly violated the posted parking rules or state laws, Berberian said Wednesday.

The notices demanded that the drivers pay a fine and threatened to have their car towed or immobilized if the parking charges were not paid, he said.

"Consumers complained they were deceived into paying these charges believing PCS was a government entity based on the appearance and wording of the parking notices," Berberian said.

In addition to requiring the reimbursements, the settlement prohibits the company from threatening any actions involving vehicles unless state law allows that. The agreement also requires PCS to make "conspicuous disclosures" on future parking notices that it is not a government agency.

To receive a refund, victims must send proof of payment to the Parking Control Service Settlement Refund, P.O. Box 231, South San Francisco, CA 94083.

The last day to submit a claim is May 10. Any complaints may be e-mailed to the Marin County district attorney's office at consumer @co.marin.ca.us; people may also call the Sonoma County district attorney at (707) 565-3161.

E-mail Marisa Lagos at mlagos@sfchroncile.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea Parties

I didn't make our local Tea Party , but it pulled hundreds of people as well... Tea, anyone? from Father Hollywood by Father Hollywood Like hundreds of thousands of other Americans, the Hollywoods enjoyed a tea party this past Wednesday. "Tea party" (wink wink). Nothing subversive about sipping a little Darjeeling, eh wot? Nothing to see here, Miss Napolitano. Anyway, our local festivities were held at Veterans Memorial Boulevard in Metairie. There were literally thousands of people crammed into the neutral ground (though on that day, the ground was anything but...), as cars and trucks poured by the busy boulevard laing on their horns in support. Here are pictures. And like every such gathering in our environs, there was even a brass band and an improptu "second line" parade. It was a "party" after all. But it was a party with a serious reason. The crowds were so overwhelming that it was hard to hear the speakers, and unfortunately, we did have a fe...

Viva California! USA out of California Now!

Gene Veith points to a Russian who predicts the breakup the American Empire. Gene is somehow unaware of the dozens of secessionist movements in various states. Granted they are almost all small but still, they exist and this could be a good time for us. Those who know me already understand that I'm a California Nationalist who I doesn't think California should have joined those united States in the first place. Being a part of that empire just costs us money, we get nothing in return. These days we get to be hated by foreigners for being Americans and mocked by Americans for being Californians. Getting us out of the US yesterday would be a day too late as far as I'm concerned.

I give up.

Over the last couple of years I have made a huge effort to convince myself that the Lutheran view of government had some merit. I've read everything recommended by Lutherans on the subject but I just can't make myself believe it. I can't believe it because I am certain that it is, quite simply, wrong. It is possible that I misunderstand the Lutheran position still, but I don't think that is the case. Lutherans teach that government is a blessing from God, a positive good. I think that this is wrong. In reality government is a curse and an evil. Even God warned Israel that a king (government) was a terrible idea that was against His will for them. (1 Samuel 8:4-19) We are certainly commanded in Romans 13:1-7 to obey and honor those in power over us, but in no place in the New Testament, at least no place that I'm aware of, is it even remotely implied that we ought to participate actively in any government, even less is it implied that we have some duty to part...